Travel To Juhu Beach of Mumbai
Mumbai is the business capital of india very well known as bollywood city & city of dreams. Mumbai is world famous for delicious food flavours & tourism destinations. Juhu Beach is one of main major attractions here in mumbai. Juhu Beach is surrounded by the Arabian Sea to the west, Versova to the north, Santacruz and Vile Parle to the east, and Khar to the south. Juhu Beach of mumbai is among the most affluent areas of the city and home to many Bollywood celebrities. Juhu beach is approximately 6 Kms in area. J. R. D. Tata made his maiden voyage to Juhu Airport from Drigh Road airstrip, Karachi, via Ahmedabad, on 15 October 1932 carrying mail in a Puss Moth aircraft. This beach was called “Juvem” by the Portuguese.
It is very well known as Sea of Oman, is a region of the northern Indian Ocean bounded on the north by Pakistan and Iran, on the west by the Gulf of Aden, Guardafui Channel and the Arabian Peninsula, and on the east by India. It surface area is about 3,862,000 km2. The Arabian Sea has been crossed by important marine trade routes since the third or second millennium BCE.
Major seaports include Kandla Port, Okha Port, Mumbai Port, Nhava Sheva Port (Navi Mumbai), Mormugão Port (Goa), New Mangalore Port and Kochi Port in India, the Port of Karachi and the Gwadar Port in Pakistan, Chabahar Port in Iran and the Port of Salalah in Oman. The largest islands in the Arabian Sea include Socotra (Yemen), Masirah Island (Oman), Lakshadweep (India) and Astola Island (Pakistan).
At its north point, nestled the village of Juhu, inhabited by Bhandaris,Agris and Kulbis and at its south point, opposite Bandra island, lived a small colony of fisher folk and cultivators.The inhabitants of Juhu were mainly Koli people and there was a small section of Goans.
The Church of St. Joseph was built by the Portuguese in 1853. During the freedom struggle Mahatma Gandhi visited Mumbai and took many walks at Juhu Beach. There is a famous photograph of Gandhiji poking his grandson Kanaa during a walk at Juhu Beach, Bombay, 1937.
To mark Gandhi’s visit in Juhu, there is famous statue of Gandhi by the beach and a lane towards the beach call Gandhigram Road. There is also a Gandhi Shiksha Bhavan school in Juhu. Juhu Beach is a popular tourist attraction throughout the year and is also a sought after destination for shooting films. The beach generally gets more crowded on weekends and public holidays. The food court at its main entrance is famous for its ‘Mumbai style’ street food, notably bhelpuri, pani puri and sevpuri.
Horse-pulled carriages offer joyrides to tourists for a small fee while acrobats, dancing monkeys, cricket matches, toy sellers vie for tourist’s attention. The beach is among the most popular sites in the city for the annual Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations where thousands of devotees arrive in grand processions, carrying idols of the Lord Ganesh of various sizes, to be immersed in the water at the beach. Juhu Beach is also a popular spot for planespotting as a portion of it lies underneath the departure path from Runway 09 and occasionally, the arrival path from Runway 27 of Mumbai Airport.
It is bounded on the north by Vasai Creek, on the northeast by the Ulhas River, on the east by Thane Creek and Bombay Harbour, and on the south and west by the Arabian Sea. The original seven islands of Bombay, which were merged by land reclamation during the 19th and early 20th centuries to form the city of Mumbai, are now practically a southward protruding peninsula of the much larger Salsette Island.
109 Buddhist caves, including those at Kanheri, can be found on the island, and date from the end of the 2nd century. Salsette was ruled by a succession of Hindu kingdoms, the last of which were the Silharas. In 1343, the islands were annexed by the Muslim Sultanate of Gujarat. In 1534, the Portuguese took the islands from Sultan Bahadur Shah of Gujarat. Sashti became part of the northern province of Portuguese India, which was governed from Baçaím (present-day Vasai) on the north shore of Vasai Creek.
It was leased to D. Diogo Rodrigues also called as Mestre Diego from 25 October 1535 to 1548. In 1554, the islands were handed over to Garcia de Orta, a renowned physician and botanist, and the author of Colloquies on the Simples, Drugs and Materia Medica of India, a seminal work on Indian and Eastern medicine of its time. In 1661, the seven Bombay islets were ceded to Britain as part of the dowry of Catherine of Bragança to King Charles II of England while Salsette remained in Portuguese hands.
King Charles, in turn, leased the Bombay islets to the British East India Company in 1668 for £10 per year. The company found the deep harbour at Bombay eminently apposite, and the population rose from 10,000 in 1661 to 60,000 by 1675. In 1687, the East India Company transferred their headquarters there from Surat. In 1737 the island was captured by the Marathas, and most of the Portuguese northern province was ceded to the Marathas in 1739. Great business man “Father of Civil Aviation” Mr. J.
R. D. Tata made his maiden voyage to Juhu Airport from Drigh Road airstrip, Karachi, via Ahmedabad, on 15 October 1932 carrying mail in a Puss Moth aircraft. The Juhu Citizen Welfare Group is the outcome of many years of activism by Juhu residents who have been associated with other NGOs. Juhu Beach stretches for six kilometres up to Versova. It is a popular tourist attraction throughout the year and is also a sought after destination for shooting films.
Who is JRD Tata ?
He was born to Ratanji Dadabhoy Tata & Suzanne Brière as their 2nd son on 29-July-1904. His father was a first cousin of Jamsetji Tata, a pioneer industrialist in India. He had one elder sister Sylla, a younger sister Rodabeh and two younger brothers Darab and Jimmy Tata.
His sister, Sylla, was married to Dinshaw Maneckji Petit, the third baronet of Petits. His sister’s sister in-law, Rattanbai Petit, was the wife of Muhammad Ali Jinnah, who later became the founder of Pakistan in August 1947. Their daughter, Dina Jinnah, was married to Neville Wadia, a notable businessman. As his mother was French, he spent much of his childhood in France and as a result, French was his first language.
He attended the Janson De Sailly School in Paris. He attended the Cathedral and John Connon School, Bombay. Tata got educated in London, Japan, France and India. When his father joined the Tata company he moved the whole family to London. During this time, J.R.D’s mother died at an early age of 43 while his father was in India and his family was in France.
After his mother’s death, Ratanji Dadabhoy Tata decided to move his family to India and sent J.R.D to England for higher studies in October 1923. He was enrolled in a Grammar school, and was interested in studying Engineering at Cambridge. Just as the Grammar course was ending and he was hoping to enter Cambridge, a law was passed in France to draft into the army, for two years, all French boys at the age of 20. As a citizen of France J.R.D had to enlist in the army for at least 1 year.
In between the Grammar school and his time in the army, he spent a brief spell at home in Bombay. After joining the French Army he was posted into the regiment called Spahis. Soon the Colonel of the regiment found that there was a member of his Squadron who could not only read and write French and English,but could type as well; so he assigned him as a secretary in his office. Tata was once again transferred to the more luxurious office of a colonel.
After a 12-month period of conscription in the French Army he wanted to proceed to Cambridge for further education, but his father decided to bring him back to India and he joined the Tata Company. In 1929, JRD renounced his French citizenship and became an Indian citizen, and started working at Tata. In 1930 JRD married Thelma Vicaji, the niece of Jack Vicaji, a colourful lawyer whom he hired to defend him on a charge of driving his Bugatti too fast along Bombay’s main promenade, Marine Drive.
Previously he had been engaged to Dinbai Mehta, the future mother of The Economist editor Shapur Kharegat. He received a number of awards. He was conferred the honorary rank of group captain by the Indian Air Force in 1948, was promoted to the Air Commodore rank and was further promoted on 1 April 1974 to the Air Vice Marshal rank.
Several international awards for aviation were given to him – The Tony Jannus Award in March 1979, the Gold Air Medal of the Federation Aeronautique International in 1985, the Edward Warner Award of the International Civil Aviation Organisation, Canada in 1986 and the Daniel Guggenheim Medal in 1988. He received the Padma Vibhushan in 1955. The French Legion of Honour was bestowed on him in 1983.
In 1992, because of his selfless humanitarian endeavours, JRD Tata was awarded India’s highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna. In the same year, JRD Tata was also bestowed with the United Nations Population Award for his crusading endeavours towards initiating and successfully implementing the family planning movement in India, much before it became an official government policy.
In his memory, the Government of Maharashtra named its first double-decker bridge the Bharatratna JRD Tata Overbridge at Kasarwadi Phata, Pune. He joined Tata Sons as an unpaid apprentice in 1925. In 1938, at the age of 34, JRD was elected Chairman of Tata Sons making him the head of the largest industrial group in India. He took over as Chairman of Tata Sons from his second cousin Nowroji Saklatwala.
For decades, he directed the huge Tata Group of companies, with major interests in steel, engineering, power, chemicals and hospitality. He was famous for succeeding in business while maintaining high ethical standards – refusing to bribe politicians or use the black market.
Under his chairmanship, the assets of the Tata Group grew from US$100 million to over US$5 billion. He started with 14 enterprises under his leadership and half a century later on 26 July 1988, when he left, Tata Sons was a conglomerate of 95 enterprises which they either started or in which they had controlling interest. He was died at the age of 89 on 29-November-1993 in Geneva, Switzerland.